Can I have an abandoned, inoperative or junk vehicle on my property?

Under Article 3, Section 13-46 of the City Code of Ordinances, a motor vehicle is considered a junk vehicle if it does not have lawfully attached to it:

1. An expired license plate and sticker

2. A valid motor vehicle inspection certificate

3. Is wrecked, dismantled or partially dismantled, or discarded

4. Remains inoperable for more than 45 consecutive days

A certified letter will be sent to the property owner(s) to remove the vehicle(s) from the property. After the 10 a reinspection will be done by the Code Officer. If the violation has been corrected the complaint will be closed. If the violation still exist a citation will be sent to the property owner(s), for every day that the violation occurs. Please call 432-264-2505 for more information.

Show All Answers

1. How can I find out about City Codes?
2. What are the most common complaints that Code Enforcement investigate?
3. How can I make a complaint?
4. How will I find out what happens to my complaint?
5. How long should it take for the Code Enforcement Officers to investigate my complaint?
6. What if I want to stay anonymous?
7. How can I get my restrictive covenants (deed restrictions) enforced by the city?
8. What can I do if I disagree with a city code?
9. How do the code enforcement officers attempt to enforce the codes?
10. If the city abates a problem on my property, do I have to pay anything?
11. Can the city come onto my property and abate a hazard without my permission?
12. How much can I be fined for violating some city code?
13. Can Code Enforcement Officers file the same complaint on me more than once?
14. Can the Code Enforcement Officers enter my property without my permission?
15. Do the Code Enforcement Officers perform any other functions?
16. Do Code Enforcement Officers have the authority to act outside of the city limits?
17. Am I only responsible for my property?
18. How tall can my vegetation reach before I will get a letter from the city?
19. Can I allow my trees or shrubs to grow into the city easements?
20. Can I have an abandoned, inoperative or junk vehicle on my property?
21. May I drain my swimming pool or pond into the street or alley?