Municipal Court General Information

The Municipal Court is on the 3rd floor of the Howard County Courthouse located at:
300 South Main Street
Big Spring, TX 79720

Ample parking is available and the building is accessible for the physically challenged. Any disabled person needing special accommodations or hearing impaired persons wishing to have an interpreter should request services at least 48 hours prior to the scheduled meeting by contacting Jeanne Wilson at 432-264-2530.

Municipal Court Hours
Monday - Friday
8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Closed on observed holidays.

Phone Number: 432-264-2530
Fax Number: 432-264-2410
TTY Phone Number: 432-264-2585 (hearing impaired TTY phone)

Cases that are filed in Municipal Court include, but are not limited to:
  • Class C misdemeanors
  • Environmental violations
  • Violations of city ordinance
Traffic Violations
Traffic violations include:
  • Commercial vehicle violations
  • Failure to maintain financial responsibility
  • Moving and non-moving violations
  • No drivers' license, etc.
Parking Violations
Parking violations are violations of the civil code rather than the criminal code.

Class C Misdemeanors
Class C misdemeanors are crimes punishable by a maximum fine of $500 and include:
  • Disorderly conduct
  • Minor in possession of alcohol (other alcohol charges)
  • Minor in possession of tobacco products, etc.
  • Possession of drug paraphernalia
  • Public intoxication
  • Theft less than $50
Violations of City Ordinance
Includes violations of juvenile curfew, park curfew, environmental violations (public land-development violations, health and safety violations associated with food establishments, weedy lots-accumulated items, and animal violations), etc.

Information You Should Know
  • Just because you were issued a citation does not mean you are guilty of the offense charged. Based on the merits of each individual case, a Judge or Jury will determine the verdict of each case.
  • You may have an attorney represent you in Court if you desire, however, this is not required. Most defendants in Municipal Court do not use attorneys.
  • Cases heard in Municipal Court are "Class C" misdemeanors. If a verdict of "Guilty" is found, a fine will be assessed. In most cases the fine cannot exceed $500 plus the "court costs" which remain the same whether you pay your fine or have a trial.
  • You have the right to have a Jury trial by 6 persons of this community. You may waive this option and have the case heard before a Municipal Judge.
  • If you wish to have a trial, the state must prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you committed the offense charged. To do so, they will introduce evidence and call witnesses to testify.
  • You or your attorney will be given an opportunity to cross-examine or question any witnesses called by the state.
  • You may call witnesses on your behalf. You may request the Court to have necessary witnesses and/or evidence subpoenaed.
  • At the trial, you have the right to remain silent. You do not have to testify; neither the Judge or the Jury can use the fact that you did not testify as evidence against you.
  • To enter a plea of not guilty and be set for trial you must appear in Court no more 14 days after you received your citation. Hours are listed on the back side of your citation.
  • If you have decided you do not want a trial and wish to enter a plea of nolo contendere (no contest) or guilty, you may pay your fine by mail or at the Municipal Court-Cashier Window.
  • If you fail to appear in Court or by letter 14 days after the citation, you may be charged with "failure to appear" and a warrant may be issued for your arrest. You may not enter an appearance by phone.
  • You may be able to have your citation dismissed by taking a Driving Safety Course. However, you will lose that right if you do not provide a written request to the Court on or before your appearance date of your desire to do so.
  • All 16 or under must appear before the judge and must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.
  • All persons under the age 18 who have been charged with an alcohol or tobacco related offense must appear before the judge and must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.